Park School History
In 1949, Shore Community Services, a group of parents of children with disabilities was formed. Led by Lois and Thomas Lloyd, they established the first school for North Shore children with intellectual and other developmental disabilities, initially inside the Lloyd's Evanston home. In 1953 the program, which came to be known as Park School, became a state-supported pilot project for children with moderate and severe intellectual disabilities. It was one of the first of its kind in the state of Illinois. In 1954, the Evanston School Board assumed responsibility for Park School, and in 1985 it moved to its current home on Main Street, on the site of the former Central School.
It is unknown exactly where the name Park School came from. It may relate back to a related summer play school for children with disabilities that Shore Community Services ran in Leahy Park in the 1950s, and/or to Ellingwood Park, which was near the school when it was based at Covenant Methodist Church in North Evanston.
The D65 School History project is the result of a partnership with Evanston History Center. This research was completed by the Evanston History Center with references to www.shoreservices.org and Evanston Review, November 20, 1980 p15.
School History
Interested in the history of other District 65 schools?
Chute Middle School, originally named Oscar M. Chute Junior High, opened in 1966.
Dawes School is named after U.S. Vice President General Charles G. Dawes.
Dewey Elementary School was the first school in Evanston to have a kindergarten.
In 2004 Dr. Bessie Rhodes became the first Black woman to have a school named after her in Evanston.
The original King Lab was located in what is now Family Focus.
Ellen Foster, the first principal, viewed the school as a community hub.
Haven Middle School was initially built to serve students from two school districts.
Joseph E. Hill became Evanston's first Black superintendent of schools in 1975.
Namesake Homer Kingsley started the first Evanston public school kindergarten in 1882.
In the 1890s, children voted to name their new school "Lincoln" after the U.S. President.
The name incorporates nearby geographical features: Lincoln Street and a wooded area.
Frederick Nichols worked closely with the architect to create a school full of treasures.
Oakton is home to murals created by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930s.
Orrington's site was previously home to a Potawatomi village and burial ground.
The predecessor to Park School was established in 1949 by a group of parents.
The school was named after Chicago-area philanthropists Daniel and Ada Rice.
Walker opened to address rising enrollment due to the baby boom generation.
The yellow brick building on the corner of Main and Ashland is the original school.
The school was named after world-renowned social reformer Frances Willard.
